Wednesday 27 February 2013

Minimalist in the making

Spent a lot of time yesterday thinking about minimalism and how to achieve it. Also one of my goals before the baby comes slots very neatly into this theme in the sense of needing to clear the clutter.

I read a great blog called The Happiness Project http://www.happiness-project.com/ which gave me lots of tips and also read a book on simple living by Tammy Strobel called "You can buy happiness and it's cheap: how one woman radically simplified her life and how you can too." Basically the same message was coming through...nobody needs that much stuff to be happy.

So I tackled my kitchen cupboards. What become clear was my clutter wasn't all created by me! I had  3 tea sets given to me by relatives not to mention numerous cake stands and large plates that had been gifted. Other gifts I had chosen myself so I had only myself to blame there. Plus I had things left to me by the previous owner of the flat as a favour. (A.K.A I can't be bothered to pack up my flat properly.) There was even had a large mixer I had won in a raffle. I knew it was time to sort out the cupboard as whenever I opened the door I was confronted by an avalanche of Tupperware.

Gifts then seemed to be my problem. Family things that had either been past on or in some cases cheap tat, but gifts all the same that were  just taking up space. I had to learn to stop feeling sentimental and ungrateful and just get rid. I also remembered that the giving away items to family, my own relatives must have been tinged with relief that the item was gone from their shelves!

Of course the real problems are lurking in the clutter in the bedroom. I am procrastinating like mad as a lot of it is small, insignificant clutter - only worth chucking and that is when the guilt would inevitably return. But it is a matter of reclaiming space and order and piece of mind. So enough of excuses - it must be faced. My job for tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment